Caring for your smile includes caring for your jaw. Within your jaw, highly complex joints known as temporomandibular joint exist that facilitate speaking, chewing, and eating. If for any reason they are damaged, a TMJ disorder will arise. To help minimize the effects and risks of TMJ disorders, establish TMJ disorder prevention plans and treatment procedures for any issues that may occur, including the following:
– TMJ is often associated with stress, so it may be in your best interest to use meditative techniques to help contain any pressure you may feel. This can include calming music, biofeedback, and yoga.
– Always be sure to eat soft foods if you are suffering from a TMJ disorder.
– Treating TMJ disorders requires the use of heat and ice packs. Rather than using medications, you may be able to use a heat pack to minimize pain. Ice packs are also extremely effective for treating swelling and inflammation that may arise.
– There are numerous causes of TMJ disorders including biting your nails, chewing on tough or chewy foods, arthritis, dislocations, teeth and jawbones that are out of alignment, and even bruxism.
– Speak with your dentist about the use of exercises to strengthen your jaw, or night guards and bite plates to help alleviate pressure associated with TMJ disorders.
TMJ disorder therapy may be the dentistry service you need. For an oral checkup at Today's Dentistry at our dentist office in Temple Terrace, Florida, please schedule an appointment with Dr. Samira Jamil and our team by calling our office at 813-989-3269.